Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cinnamon Peanut Butter Rice Treats

I love Rice Crispy Treats but unfortunately there is no way that I can eat them since I can't eat sugar and marshmallows are full of it.  I could probably learn to make my own marshmallows with a different sweetener and then make the dessert but that is more effort than I am willing to put into what is supposed to be a simple treat. Tonight, with a little inspiration from the back of my cereal box I came up with a delicious, though very different, rice cereal treat.


Cinnamon Peanut Butter Rice Treats (adapted from the back of my Erewhon Crispy Rice Cereal box.)

1/2 c peanut butter
1/2c rice syrup
1/2t vanilla extract
1/2t cinnamon
2c rice cereal

Mix peanut butter, rice syrup, vanilla and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Stir in cereal.  Form mixture into balls and enjoy!

I didn't actually measure any of the ingredients, the above recipe is just an approximation of what I used so don't dirty a measuring cup unless you feed you need.  These treats are ready in less than 5 minutes and are really good.  It's taking all my will power to resist eating them all.

If you are like my family and can't eat sugar or potato then you know how hard it is to buy cereal.  I have found two brands that make a rice cereal I can eat: Erewhon and Barbara's.

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

1 comment:

  1. YUM. i made a similar version, using blueberry rice syrup and they tasted like PB and J:

    http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/peanut-butter-and-jelly-cereal-bars/

    ReplyDelete