Sunday, October 17, 2010

Date Night

Last night was my Dad's last night in town visiting.  David and i decided to take advantage of our last night with a 3rd adult in the house and we went on a date.  To make things really easy for my dad we didn't leave until after Flora went to sleep.  As I was putting her to bed I reminded her that David and I were leaving and the conversation went like this:

ME:  Flora, don't forget mommy and daddy are going out for a little bit so if you wake up it might be grandpa who comes in to give you kisses.

Flora:  Where you going?

Me:  We're going to a restaurant to eat some food.  

Flora:  I wanna come with you.

Me:  No Flora, I'm sorry it's just a mommy/daddy restaurant.

Flora:  It's OK.  I come too.

Me:  No Flora, you can't come.  Sometimes mommies and daddies need to go out alone.  We need to talk about mommy/daddy things.  The restaurant is close, we're just going to go eat some food and then we'll come home.  You probably won't even know we're gone.  

Flora:  Restaurant just on other side of this wall?  

Me:  Sure Flora, the restaurant is very close.

Flora:  You open wall so I can see?

Me:  No Flora, I can't do that.  That's not the way it works.  We'll be home soon and Grandpa will be home to keep you safe.

Flora:  Grandpa big scary dragon.  Grandpa keep me safe.  GRRRAWRRAW!

Me:  Yes Flora, Grandpa will keep you safe.  I love you.  Go to sleep. 

Flora:  OK.

Me:  Sleep tight, baby bear.

Flora:  Sleep tight, mommy bear.

Me:  I love you, baby bear.

Flora:  I love you, mommy bear.  


I am constantly amazed by Flora's imagination and her communication skills.

Dinner was great.  We had Sushi and Sake.  Best of all we got to spend a couple hours together without the girl.  

When is the last time you had a real date night with your partner?  Where did you go?

1 comment:

  1. "Grandpa big scary dragon" that is so awsome! She sounds like a lot of fun. Tim and I went to the movies a couple of days ago for our anniversary. It was strange riding in the car without the little one. I got the urge to point out school buses and big trucks but then I caught myself.

    ReplyDelete