Sunday, January 31, 2010

Slow Cooker Pinto Beans

We eat a lot of beans in our house. They are tasty, cheap, and a good source of protein. I won't say I never buy cans of beans but I prefer to make them myself, they just taste better. I've made them on the stove top in the past but I find they require too much attention and I always end up with burnt bean crusted to the bottom of the pan. Slow Cooker Pinto Beans are great because they require absolutely no attention. Just so long as you remember to soak the beans the night before you can put them in your slow cooker in the morning before you head out to work and they will be ready when you get home.

They are so easy I don't even measure. Here's how I do it.

Dry Pinto Beans (I usually make a little less than 1lb)
1 Onion
Water
1-2 Serrano Peppers

1. Soak beans for 8-12 hours.

2. Rinse soaked beans and put them in slow cooker.

3. Cover beans in water. Have the water level about 4" above the soaked beans.

4. Cut onion into quarters and add to slow cooker.

5. Add whole serranos to slow cooker.

6. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours. They can cook a little longer or short
er it doesn't matter too much. They are pretty hard to mess up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment